Nobody wants mould in their house. It’s a dangerous health hazard that can trigger asthma and allergies.
Rain, warm temperatures, and high humidity, which Australians know all too well, create the perfect conditions for mould to grow and spread.
If you’ve noticed mould growing in or on your home, it’s best to remove it right away. However, it’s important to know there are right ways and wrong ways to get rid of it.
Before you tackle mould removal in Newcastle, learn about which mistakes you should avoid. Attempting to remove it without knowing the proper protocols can actually worsen the problem and cause additional health hazards to you and your family.
Only Eliminating the Mould You Can See
Of course, if you see mould, you should kill it, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t more spreading in places you can’t see. Only treating the outside of walls or the top of your roof is a temporary measure that won’t really solve the issue.
It’s important to conduct a thorough inspection before beginning the clean-up process.
Not Wearing Protective Gear
You want to get rid of mould in your Newcastle home because it’s a health hazard. Because of the risks involved, you shouldn’t clean up without wearing the proper protective gear. During the clean-up process, you could make the spores go airborne, which you may then inhale.
Cleaning Porous Items
Mould on porous items, such as wood, carpets, and curtains cannot be effectively removed. The mould will seep into the material’s pores. When it comes to these types of items, it’s best to throw them out and replace them. Otherwise, the problems will persist. The water in the cleaning solution you use will simply be absorbed in the material, which will exacerbate the problem and help the mould grow.
Many homeowners believe bleach effectively kills mould, but this is a myth. It won’t work—the mould will simply come back in three to four months. When you use bleach, the mould will turn white or clear, but it won’t be killed. It will continue to grow.
And, at the same time, you risk inhaling airborne mould spores as well as bleach fumes.
What should you use instead? Borax, a laundry product, is actually the best mould cleaner. Mix it with hot water and use the mixture on the affected area. Scrub and wipe dry.
Using Mould-Resistant Paint
Simply painting over the affected area with mould-resistant paint seems to be an easy solution. However, it’s no solution at all. The mould won’t be eradicated—it will continue to spread under the layer of paint.
Not Containing the Area
Mould removal in your Newcastle home can be a tricky task. Mould spores, after all, are small and can spread quite easily. During the clean-up process, you could end up making the mould spread to other areas of your home through cross-contamination.
That’s why it’s so important to set up the proper containment of the area before you start. You want to solve the problem, not make it worse.
Trying to Fix the Problem on Your Own
All of these problems can occur if you’re attempting to fix the issue on your own without the proper knowledge and experience. Often, it’s best to seek out the help of professionals.
They will inspect your home, use the right cleaners and protective gear, set up effective containment, and dispose of materials correctly to ensure the mould does not spread. If you’re dealing with a minor issue on a non-porous surface, it’s possible to do it yourself, but the problem may be worse than you realize. A reputable cleaning company can ensure your problem is gone—for good.